Friday, September 26, 2008

Alternative Ending

Angela and I are always looking for ways to be together as a family, even more so since Claire's death, so when I had to go to Boone last Friday to hold a training meeting Angela decided to bring Caroline and Sarah over for some shopping and family time. We had lots of fun with the girls and some GREAT people watching.

The girls fell asleep on the way home, so Angela and I decided to rent a movie for the two of us. Angela wanted a good "chic flick" so I proceeded to hunt for a good romantic comedy that is not “R” rated. Not an easy task these days. I found a movie that seemed like it met the profile called Married Life. It was not what I expected but it did hold our interest since I did not start the movie until after 10:00pm and Angela stayed up for the entire movie (not the norm).

At the end of the movie I looked to see what was in the special features and they had three alternative endings. As I was flipping through the different endings with my remote control it struck me of how bad I wanted to choose an alternative ending for my Claire. I wish that I could choose an ending where she wakes up from surgery and climbs up in my lap and snuggles up with me with her new cast on her right arm or where I take her with me to run errands so she is not even home to fall from the tree. But I have no remote control that will let me do that, so I turn to my heavenly Father and He reassures me that He is in control, that He knows the pain that I am feeling and that He will be with me every step of the way.

"'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the LORD.’As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts'" (Isaiah 55:8-9).

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Oh don't we all long for the same! Thank you for sharing your heart! Praying...praying...praying! sandra

The Rectors said...

All I can say is that I would pick an alternate ending for you all too. I think Claire would say she now has the best ending, which we'll all get one day as believers, and that she is "home." I know that no matter how many times people say that, it doesn't lessen the pain you feel. I'm praying for you all that God will carry that burden of pain for you today. Enjoy each other this weekend. We love you guys so much.
Sending hugs your way,
Kim

abbigayle hope atkins said...

hey daddy!!!that couldn't have been better explained!!

Emily Parker said...

I agree with Sandra, Kim, and Abbie. I would love to pick a different ending for you too. I miss Claire so much and can't even begin to imagine how much you miss her! I am so thankful that you and Angela have raised each of your girls to love God and to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I love you all and enjoyed our visit yesterday!
Love,
Emily