Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Are Those Ray Bans You're Wearing?

For really cheap entertainment, Jeff and I used to go to the mall and get a couple of cookies and milk (or coffee) and watch people! We would watch as people passed by and decide what their "story" was! When we are out, alone, we will say to each other "so what's their story?" and then we will make up some elaborate story about the lives of strangers based on their interactions with the other people they're with.

I have wondered several times over the past two months, "what do people think our story is?" By the way we interact with each other, would they ever know that we have recently buried one of our precious daughters. Or that it takes just about all the energy we can muster to get out of bed in the morning and even more energy to say "goodbye" to each other, when Jeff leaves for work. Would they ever know that only through prayer, encouragement from others and love for each other we can keep on each day? Would they ever imagine that our faith in God has sustained us through some of the darkest moments of our lives? Would they know that we are the parents of 4 beautiful daughters and not just 3?

Years ago, we were in Pigeon Forge and saw some friends (who shall remain totally anonymous)! We saw an interaction that was really out of character for who we knew they were and still know them to be. I have wondered many (I'd rather say a few, but, OK several) times, since that day, if I loose my patience with Jeff or the girls and we are out in public, who just saw that? What kind of witness was that, to my spouse, children or others around me?

I think my take home message is this: you never really know what someone else is going through, especially if you don't know them on a personal level. Even then, we may not truly understand or appreciate what others around are dealing with inside of their spirit. You know the saying "you cannot truly understand until you have walked a mile in another man's moccasins." Well, I have decided you can never truly understand what anyone else is going through because God wired us all so differently that our emotions, experiences and spirit direct us in different paths. As close as Jeff and I are, we truly do NOT know what the other is dealing with. We are each grieving on different levels for Claire.

So again, my take home message, be patient with one another, including those in your home, those in your workplace, those in your communities and those strangers that you will meet today (you know the salesclerk, the waiter or the bank teller) for you do not know what they are dealing with inside of their soul!

Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. Romans 14:13 (NIV)

7 comments:

The Rectors said...

Wow Angela. You have just become my devotional reading for today. I've been getting so caught up in my own things at work that I've NOT been stopping to think about what others are dealing with. Thanks to your words, I'll do a better job of that today.

Praying for all 5 of you today!
Love,
Kim

Sandra said...

The MUSIC rocks! You have got to download a picture of Sammy! I check your blog everyday and each time long to hear your heart so wonderfully expressed in your words. When I have been out and about recently I have noticed those "scenes" of frustrated Moms fussing (even yelling)over the simplest of things with their children -- my flesh cringes as I think about the moment that has now passed and cannot be changed, then my spirit cries out to our Father to help them relish each and every moment with their children. Then I long to go home, hole away from the insignificant frustrations of the world that is moving too fast for me and love my babies better! See you "in just a little"..."we'll be home forever, in while...can't you see we're here to learn to love him...we'll be home, in just a little while."

Emily Parker said...

Thank you so much for having the courage to share your heart with us, and for being a vessel for God by reminding all of us to show His love to everyone, in every situation. I love you so much!
Emily

Karen-Jay said...

You know, I used that same expression today (walk a mile in her shoes) but haven't thought of it right like that...thank you! You are such a blessing to me, I wish we could ride out to you guys. Maybe soon. You're in my daily prayers. Love & miss ya'll! Talk to you soon.
Karen

karaann said...

Even though people may not be able to know and understand your whole story just by looking at you and your family, they will know that something is different and special about your family. That something is your faith. The faith, love, care, and compassion that are in your family are deeper than anything on this earth. Anyone just observing your family for one minute, five hours, a week, or a lifetime would be able to see that. Your faith in Jesus stands out so much and is sometimes what gets me through personally. When I am having a time in my life where I am trying to do things on my own without God's help (we all know how horrible that can be!) something always reminds me of you and your family whether it be an e-mail from you, a lunch with you, reading your blog or seeing you at church, I realize I need to have more faith and be like the Atkins family. So thank you for that. I love you all and I am praying for you daily! Kara

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! It was so good to see you today (Saturday.) I'm hoping this comment posts. I love this blog! The music is great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.