Monday, October 27, 2008

"The Days Are Long but The Years Are Short"

It is so amazing to me how quickly time passes by! A couple of years ago, I kind of adopted the phrase "the days are long but the years are short" and have tried to remember it when I am exhausted and think that I cannot deal with one more request from my children. Prayerfully, I will look back on this season of my life and realize that I made the most of those long days and relished the simple things along the way!

We have had a couple of amazing weeks! Jeff, Abbigayle and I spent last weekend together going through the Passport2Purity curriculum! It was incredible!!!! Let me challenge anyone who has a middle school aged child in their home to work through this program with them!! Jeff and I have been preparing for this weekend for probably 6 years or so!! And let me just say it was well worth the anticipation and preparation!! The premise for the weekend was to spend focused time with Abbigayle praying with her and for her and preparing her as she enters into life as a teenager. We worked through 5 separate challenges, studies and object lessons, all of them dealing with different challenges that teenagers face! Abbigayle has a great head on her shoulders and it was refreshing for all of us to spend time together! We are really excited about what God will do in her life over the next few years!

Saturday night we went to the Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith concert in Spartanburg! WOW!!! It was fantastic!! We enjoyed their music and listened to SCC talk about some of the difficult times their family is facing right now! We could relate so easily to his heart and lyrics to his songs! They began the concert with "How Great Is Our God" and ended it with "How Great Is Our God!" (What does that tell you about Our God?)

For no particular reason, last week was an especially sad and difficult week for us! Jeff and I have rarely been away from our children for more than a day or two and it has now been over three months since we held Claire in our arms for the last time! The reality that Claire is not coming back is sinking in for all of us and there have been a lot of tears! It is so evident that the seasons are changing and as I type this there are snow flurries whirling around outside! Tough to imagine the next couple of months without Claire Bear to enjoy them with!

Jeremiah 29:11 continues to be a scripture verse that is frequently brought to our attention! We have heard, read and seen this scripture placed in front of us many times since July 17th. Lord, I don't have a clue what your plan is for our lives nor do I understand how we will prosper from Claire's death, but I do believe that your word is true and I do believe that we have hope and peace in knowing that your plan is so much greater than our plan and our future will be so much richer because of our trust in you!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

6 comments:

karaann said...

I just wanted to say that I love you all so much! And you are right, Abbie does have a great head on her shoulders, she knows where her faith stands, she has her priorities straight, family follows in second after her faith, and she is smart. This is true for all of your girls. They are so lucky to be in such a tight-knit family. I am still praying for all of you and can't wait to see you guys again! Give everyone at church my love! Love you all, Kara Owings

beth spray said...

i am so glad you both got to do that with abbigayle!! what a memory for her! she is a precious, one-of-a-kind young lady!! i am also glad you guys got to go to that concert! how awesome!! i am sure there were tears and smiles as you listened to the songs and stories that echo your heart's cry right now!! know that we love you guys and are continuing to lift you up!!

Anonymous said...

You two are amazing! What a wonderful thing to do for Abbigayle. We pray for you and think of you every day. I wish we were closer and could be there for you.XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Jeffery said...

Angela, God has given you such an incredible gift of writing. Thank you for the way that you are using your gift to let those that care for us and are praying for us to know how our Father in heaven is leading us through this deep valley. I Love You!!!! Jeffery

The Rectors said...

I'm just so thankful that God keeps helping all of you to put one foot in front of the other and take the next step. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to do that on most days, but I'm thankful and inspired that you keep on doing it! The more I get to know God, the more I realize that there is no way that I can figure out just how He works and why He allows the things to happen that He allows. I guess most times, just putting one foot in front of the other is all that we can do, all the while looking for Him in everything. I love you friend!
Kim

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful author you are. You know I love you all so very much. I just have this overwhelming need to hold and protect all of you. I do what I can, but, God does the real job.
Soooooooo... I'll just be THE BOSS!
Love
Aunt Susan