Saturday, August 9, 2008

God's Mercies

WOW!!!! How a few weeks can certainly change our lives!!

As many of you know, our daughter Claire, went to play with Jesus on Thursday, July 17th. I will share more of this story in the days to come! Our Lord has been with us every step of the way and shown incredible mercies through this journey. We have recieved so many prayers and concerns for our family and we have certainly been held up by those prayers.

I want to begin this "blog" journey by sharing with you the mercies God gave us two days ago when Abbigayle and Caroline started back to school. Jeff and I pray every morning that God will give us new mercies because the mercies He gave us the day before will not sustain us through another day. I was not sure what God had in store for us Thursday morning. (Why do we expect so little out of Him?) We went to McDonald's for breakfast (a family tradition we began on Abbigayle's first day of Kindergarten 8 years ago). Then we took Abbigayle to the Middle School, she wanted me to walk her inside to her classroom!!!! (mercy #1 for the day) We then drove Caroline to her school and she wanted all of us to walk her to her classroom. She said "This is so 1st grade!" We walked into Caroline's class and her seat was assigned next to Hannah Ruth, her best friend from Kindergarten!! (mercy #2 for the day) Jeff, Sarah and I began walking down the hall to the front of the school, we were met at the front door by the principal, music teacher and many other faculty/staff who embraced us with love. Mrs. Spurling, the librarian, asked me to come to her office and began to tell me that she went through the list of books that Claire checked out over the past three years. One week it was a joke book, the next week a chapter book and so on. Claire loved to read and would enjoy any book she chose. Mrs. Spurling wanted to give me the last book Claire checked out! It was "Small Gifts in God's Hands" by Max Lucado!!!!! (mercies #3, #4 and #5) What a blessing that Mrs. Spurling took the time and thought to look at the books Claire enjoyed reading and wanted to give me a book; but this particular book was in my child's school library to choose and my precious Claire chose this book!! Again, God is so merciful!!


Dawn, Mackenzie and Mallorie Keel were all at my house when we got back with a wonderful breakfast!! We enjoyed time together and were able to talk about Claire and what she meant to all of us!! (plus breakfast was delicious~mercy #6)

When the mail arrived so did mercy #7!!! We received a packet of information from Carolina Donor Services about the people whom Claire's organs went to!! Her right kidney went to a 46 year old man, her left kidney went to a 40 year old man and her liver went to a 10 year old boy! We do not yet have information about her heart valves! We will be sending these families letters and sharing Claire's story with them!! Please pray for us as we write these letters!!

Mercy #8~ Abbigayle and Caroline came bouncing off of the school bus exclaiming their first day of school was GREAT!!!

I look forward to sharing more of our story in the days to come!! But for now it's time to say "good night!"

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11~13



7 comments:

The Rectors said...

Yeah! You did it! Not only will this be part of your healing, but I can't wait to see how God uses your story to help others. I'm starting a family blog too (for whoever might want to read it), but most of all for me to write down the story of how God's working in my life and our family's. God has show US great mercy by choosing you to be our friends. Hugs and love,
Kim

Emily Parker said...

I love it! What a beautiful layout and what an awesome idea to do a family blog! Thank you for sharing all the way God has shown His mercies with the girls starting back to school! I am so excited to hear about the donor recepients. I miss you big sister and love you so much! Give everyone hugs and kisses from me!
Love, Emily

The Keels 4 said...

Praise God that His mercies are new each morning! Praise God you take the time to look and find them. We look forward to reading your healing stories.
We love you!
The Keels 4

abbigayle hope atkins said...

wow!!!!love the blog mom!!!!!isn't God just amazing?
lovelovelove!!
*abbie*

Becky said...

Ya'll are so cute - I love the blog site. I might even learn a thing or two besides email. Jim and I were walking tonight after the church picnic and thanking God for your family and the way you have been ministering to all as we try to minister to you. This blog is another way for you to reach others with the message of God! I am proud to be your friend. Psalm 121!!!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job I know this will be such an outreach to all that read it. And such a blessing to you.

Love you,
Jay

Coach Owings said...

I read your blog this morning on the first day of school traditions and my heart broke all over again. I had to stop and thank our great Lord for my family, your family and the friendship that we share.