Saturday, August 16, 2008

Here's the Church, Here's the Steeple

Open it up where's all the people? Let me just tell you where all the people are... they are caring for us!!!!!

I can not even begin to tell you how very thankful and full of gratitude we are for all of our friends and family who have wrapped themselves around us, loved on us and carried us through the past 4 weeks!!!!! Many times through this valley I have actually felt loving arms wrapped around my back and knees and carrying me through to the next moment. A dear friend said to me, "It's times like these that we realize how large the body of Christ really is!" We continue to receive cards, phone calls, e-mails, meals and visits, these are all truly sustaining us through the next moment!! Others are sharing with us resources about dealing with grief, one thing I read this morning said grief is not normal it is necessary. WOW is that a truth.

Some moments I feel like what else can we deal with. This has been a very difficult week for us. The reality that Claire is no longer with us, here on earth, is setting in and we are caught in the undertow of that grief and reality. Abbigayle and Caroline are in full swing at school. I went to have a root canal on Wednesday and after 1 1/2 hours, being very numb and $400 later was told the procedure could not be completed and I would have to come back for surgery :). And this morning I sat down on a wasp!! I know the Lord does not give us more than we can handle, however, I certainly wonder some moments!

And then I am reminded of a sermon Jim shared with our congregation the week after Claire's service. God placed us around each other to comfort and care for one another.
3-5"All praise to the God and Father of our Master, Jesus the Messiah! Father of all mercy! God of all healing counsel! He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us. We have plenty of hard times that come from following the Messiah, but no more so than the good times of his healing comfort—we get a full measure of that, too.
6-7When we suffer for Jesus, it works out for your healing and salvation. If we are treated well, given a helping hand and encouraging word, that also works to your benefit, spurring you on, face forward, unflinching. Your hard times are also our hard times. When we see that you're just as willing to endure the hard times as to enjoy the good times, we know you're going to make it, no doubt about it."
2 Corinthians 1:3-7 (The Message)


Jeff, Abbigayle, Caroline, Sarah and I are continuing to pray God's blessing upon each of you, as you continue to minister (and comfort) to us!

3 comments:

Cousin Lori said...

Well I just love the blog. I finally had a chance to read all of your post thus far and you leave me wanting for more. I think about all of you everyday and want you to know that I love you all. I look forward to more to come.

Love, Lori

The Rectors said...

The hardest thing for those of us who love you is that we can't just "make it all better." True friendship and love is evident when you hurt for each other's hurts, just as you have joy for each other's good times. We can't take your burden of hurt and sadness away, but know that we will help to carry it with you. I hope you know that we are here for you today, tomorrow, a month from now, a year from now...always. Sending hugs your way! Hope to see you soon.
We love you,
Kim

Kim Scruggs said...

You are loved, loved, loved -- even by God's Church in TN! We are proud to stand with you and give glory to God for all of this, even in the midst of our wondering "why?" it has happened.

A young family in our church lost their husband/daddy in a motorcycle accident last Tuesday. The 27 year old widow -- who has never worked -- is trying to pick up the pieces and become two parents to her 7year old, 4 year old, and newborn. I thought of Claire when I heard of Russell's death and imagined her sweet smile welcoming him into heaven! As those verses you posted said, we go through these things in order to come alongside someone else who needs to hear God's healing message. Thank you for so eloquently reminding us of that.

Much love,
Kim Scruggs